Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ezra Jack Keats Award


I'm mighty proud to say that I just received the 2008 Ezra Jack Keats New Author Award, for my third book, Leaves. This award is given once a year by the New York Public Library and the Ezra Jack Keats Foundation to one new writer and one new illustrator of picture books. I shared the spotlight on Thursday May 15 at the Donnell Library with Jonathan Bean, the very talented illustrator of The Apple Pie That Papa Baked, among others.

The evening was filled with warmth, coming from the wonderful children's book folk and guests who were present. I am always pleased to be part of this community of creative and loving people. And to be honored by them. . .well!: Heaven on earth.

My thanks again to the jurors and supporters of my work, my editor and art director, and the New York Public Library and Ezra Jack Keats Foundation.

Click here to visit the EJK Foundation's web site.

(Above: Me and Jonathan Bean with Doctors Deborah and Marvin Pope of the Ezra Jack Keats Foundation.)

1 comment:

Lauren Castillo said...

Hey David,

Congratulations again on the Ezra Jack Keats Award! It was nice to chat with you at the reception, and thanks a bunch for signing my copy of Leaves!

Keep up the great work :)

-Lauren